Poor Sweet Negleted Fruit trees
When we bought our home nearly three and half years ago, I was so enamoured with the 7 year old fruit trees on the small .25 acre lot. Lining the property on the Southern portion of the yard. In order, from their list: (side notes included)
7.Apricot ~ Sweetheart~ kernels are edible from this tree
6.Cherry~ semi dwarf ~ royal Ann Cherry ~ bought from supply one (which is now a casino)
5.Nectarine~ sunglo
4.Apple ~ Red Fuji
3.Apple ~ Royal Gala
2.Peach~ Carolina Belle
1.Peach ~ from Leon
The 10Th Tree is a Pink Lady Apple Tree from Loni from Dayton Nursery. 9-12-01
Trees# 2,3,4,5,7, and 8 bought from stark brothers
planted in May of 1997
Always , Always purchase your home from an elderly couple who were the only owners of a 10 year old home. The record keeping! I have a simple manila envelope, you know the one, that is stuffed with all kinds of information, everything you want to know about our little place.
I want to tell you about the Pink Lady. As I looked over Mikes notes on the fruit trees something jumped out at me. The Pink Lady Apple tree was purchased on September 12, 2001. The Day after 9-11. I was moved. Of course I wasn't privy to the conversation that happened that day between Husband and Wife. I can only imagine. The picture that comes into my head, the fruit tree and what it represents. The roots grow deep, the stems grow tall, with water, sun and proper care it bares much fruit. Life. With all the Darkness that 9-11 represents, Husband and Wife, wanted to reestablish in their own minds, in their own lives, Life. It's beauty. It's fruit. There is something about digging in the dirt, planting a tree, then watching it grow that can bring about healing. Healing of the heart and mind. So as I sit and think about Mike and Mayben. Friends, Husband and wife. As other neighbors,some whom have have moved on , shared about this special couple. Mike had a stroke and his unfortunate death left Mayben devastated. She put her home on the market to move closer to her son. When we came across this house and stepped through the door I knew as soon as I saw the fruit trees it was to be my home. And suddenly all the little details of the things I wanted and desired flew out the window and landed on the Pink Lady tree.
My children play amongst these trees and I have yet to spray for bugs. Not very informed about these matters , I have just avoided it all together.But this year is different, I want to care for my trees properly. Help my trees to bare much fruit. Lovely Apricots, Sweet Cherries, Crisp apples, Juicy peaches, and Noble Nectarines. Looking for bug-remedies I found this recipe and will be using it this year.
For fruit tree bugs:
2-liter plastic bottle
string
1 banana peel
1 cup sugar
1 cup strong vinegar
Slice banana peel into strips and insert them into the plastic bottle. In a separate container, combine sugar and vinegar. Pour this mixture into the bottle , then fill it to within 2 inches of the neck with water, then tie the string around the neck of the bottle, then tie the other end around the lower branches of a tree.
fruit and black flies, yellow jackets, and other insects find the fermenting banana, sugar, and vinegar more attractive than the fruit on the tree. Once they fly in, they get caught in the sticky mixture and drown. This reportedly works so well that it can make spraying fruit trees unnecessary.
6 comments:
Isn't it funny how simple fruit trees win you over, I loved the story! And good for you for using a natural way to kill those bugs!!
Thanks Sue!
There was a young couple here for a couple of years, but prior to that the original couple lived here over 40 years. I have found receipts, pictures, a shed with notes all over the walls (even the score of the first superbowl!) And yes, the apple trees in the back yard won me over!!
Beemoosie,
Love That! The first superbowl score....fun! How do you keep bugs off your trees?
I love the Pink Lady story! (My favorite apple by the way!!)
When we bought this old old old house it came with two ancient huge apple trees (a delicious and a Jonathan) and several old small plum trees. I have planted another apple (yellow transparent) and an elberta peach since then and two crabapples...but plan more this year...maybe cherries! I am going to try your bug thing!! great idea!!
Love, Aunt Jenny
Hey Aunt Jenny!
I have already hung the bug remedy on three trees and have trapped , black flies, wasps and a couple other types of flying bugs. My only thought about it is... I think there needs to be more sugar. As I watched, several flies flew in landed on the banana peel then flew out. Another thing is it might have to be changed once a month, I will keep you all posted. So far so good.
Post a Comment