Saturday, May 24, 2008

Potato Project

We planted potatoes today. What fun and how very easy. I am looking forward to homegrown potatoes at the end of summer and plan on tracking the potato project progress right here at Theresa's Lavender Box. A diary of sorts of our success. I am thinking positive here people.

Day One:

Cut the potato starts up with one or two eyes with roots growing out of them. Let them sit 24 hours, according to the www, to seal up the cut edges so they don't rot.

Day three:

Dug two holes, small holes. Filled with gardening soil. Placed cut potato starts root side down in the soil, place a wire tube around them. Placed soil on top. Water. Watch.


As the potato sprouts and leaves emerge we are to cover we soil. Then as they flower new potatoes will be found. When the flowers fade and leaves turn yellow we will remove the wire mesh tube and dig up potatoes!


The kind clerk at the feed store reassured me it was easy. Good. That's what I need easy!



3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh..How fun. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I am thinking this is a great science project for the boys.

Rebecca said...

Mmm, those taters look delish! How fun! I think we grew potatoes by accident once growing up. We had composted them and then we had new potatoes.

joyh82 said...

My dh plants a huge garden every year. The taters usually last us way into the fall. good luck with your garden!