Mamma to boys
It's an adventure. At least it should be! Well it is for me, I could fill pages of close calls. I have tried to let my boys be boys. It's important to me and it's important to my Maverick. But given the last two weeks I am really calling for padded walls, I talking full-on rooms, padded! They could be colorful, but padded with no sharp objects. I am reminded of Psalm 139 (thanks to my mother-in-law, who raised four sons)
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying downand are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;it is high; I cannot attain it.
Where shall I go from your Spirit?Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morningand dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,and your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,and the light about me be night,”
even the darkness is not dark to you;the night is bright as the day,for darkness is as light with you.
For you formed my inward parts;you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.Wonderful are your works;my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret,intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them,the days that were formed for me,when as yet there were none of them.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.I awake, and I am still with you.
Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!O men of blood, depart from me!
They speak against you with malicious intent;your enemies take your name in vain
Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
I hate them with complete hatred;I count them my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart!Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,and lead me in the way everlasting!
My children belong to Jesus! He formed them in my womb, knitted them together in my womb. I could try to keep padded walls, but what I fear most, I have to let go. Everyday. Let go. Because without fail my son has joined an archery club , with lots of rules. Rules for saftey. But when my son hears "all clear" and runs at full speed towards the arrows peircing the haybales he slips and falls. The arrow finds its way right into his "bad ear". Bullseye! Dizzy, mom I am dizzy. Me, well, I am screaming inside. NO! Here we are in the middle of the Nevada desert. Shudder. It turns out he was ok. A very small wound,which has been cleaned and neosporined every night. But a reminder, how fragile we are. I seemed to be reminded often just how fragile we are. The question is will it hold him back? I think not!
Fast foward to yesterday, My girlfriend is over with her four most precious children. Love these kids, could just eat them up! I mean really. Her oldest and my oldest, pals. Climbing in the cherrie tree. Can you see where this going? Her boy falls out of the tree, have you every seen a stake in the ground pierce through jeans like a sewing needle? (cringe) Turns out he scraped the back of his leg, but he thought he was bleeding to death, felt faint and all. I have to tell you when I realized the steak did not pierce his body, I starting laughing, histerically. I was so scared when I saw him, that when all was ok I lost it. I squeezed him so tight , I am sure he thought I was going to squish him. The thing is we try so hard to protect, and sometimes it's just going to happen. I think the worst part about the cherry tree incident for our little friend (11 year old boy actually) is his pants around his ankles and 7 people checking out his "owie" ! When it was time to go, his mom promised me, he was more upset about having to leave then what had happened to him. I guess for now I choose to believe her.
J says that "digging is his life", infact he wanted me to embroider that on a hat for him (which I have yet to do) So I leave you with a picture of his latest hole. And a quote from him. "Mom do you want a moat around your house?"
3 comments:
yes boys will be boys. gosh..when I saw that hole your little guy had dug..I must say..oh gosh..here's something else for her to worry about..my husband had to save a friend of his back when they were little boys digging tunnels in the ground..the tunnel collapsed upon his friend and my husband had to dig his buried friend out of the ground..luckily he got him out and the boy was o.k...but..saying this to let you know..digging holes as deep as this picture shows of your little boy..could be quite dangerous...especially if no adults are supervising the play time.
not mentioning this to offend.
I am not offended . But in response, that is my point, life is dangerous. In our car, on a bike, swimming in a pool or pond, climbing a tree. Last week a 7 year old was hit by a car walking up to the store with friend. I do the very best to protect my children and things still happen. I do my best as a parent, but they belong to God and at some point I have to let them just be. Otherwise I would be the first for padded rooms. God is a great big huge God and we are at His mercy.
I can relate completely. Boys are such a blessing, but geez! They are so good at making my heart stop! All three of my boys had been to the emergency room before their first birthday. The last time we had to go, Matt was two, he had woke up in the middle of the night with croup. I have never been so scared in my life, he couldn't breathe, his airway was closing up. They had to give him a steroid shot and put a mask of cold medicated air on him, and the next morning it was like it never happened. To this day, if I hear him cough, my stomach gets sick. Same with my husband. I have to remind myself everyday that these boys belong to God, and He has a plan for them. I'm just here to point them in the right direction, armed with the Word, and let Him take care of the rest. It's so hard to let go. Let go and let God, my aunt always said.
Post a Comment